To strengthen physician learning decisions through individualized practice-based information, reflection, and by offering support for knowledge translation.
Formed in 2009, the Physician Learning Program's mandate to support physician learning by providing practice data and feedback reports to individual physicians. The PLP has established itself as a leader in processes required to obtain, analyze and present health systems data. We have developed unique and critical partnerships with data custodians and various agencies throughout Alberta and nation-wide, and leverage these collaborations to create unique learning opportunities for physicians.
We operate as one of the Alberta Medical Association’s physician benefit stream programs and are governed by a steering committee with representatives from the AMA, Alberta Health Services, Alberta Health, Alberta Chapter of the College of Family Physicians of Canada, and College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta.
To focus and customize physician professional development to achieve the best possible health outcomes for Albertans.
- Collaborate with individual physicians, physician organizations and others vested in patient care
- Focus on quality improvement
- Maintain physician and patient confidentiality
- Conduct evidence-informed-work
- Driven by physicians and centered on physicians
- Help physicians identify perceived and unperceived learning needs
- Facilitate individual access to practice data and information
- Address physicians’ personal learning needs
- Engage in knowledge translation for projects for which data is readily available
- Develop, adapt, and disseminate aggregate data reports for the province
- Support the initiatives of Choosing Wisely Alberta