Formed in 2009, the Physician Learning Program's mandate to support physician learning by providing practice data and feedback reports to individual physicians. The PLP has established itself as a leader in processes required to obtain, analyze and present health systems data. We have developed unique and critical partnerships with data custodians and various agencies throughout Alberta and nation-wide, and leverage these collaborations to create unique learning opportunities for physicians.
We operate as one of the Alberta Medical Association’s physician benefit stream programs and are governed by a steering committee with representatives from the AMA, Alberta Health Services, Alberta Health, Alberta Chapter of the College of Family Physicians of Canada, and College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta.
Vision: By 2025, all Alberta physicians will care for patients in a supportive culture driven by evidence-informed reflective practice improvement.
Mission: PLP creates actionable clinical information and engages with physicians, teams, and partners to co-create sustainable solutions to advance practice.
To strengthen physician learning decisions through individualized practice-based information, reflection, and by offering support for knowledge translation.
- Collaborate with individual physicians, physician organizations and others vested in patient care
- Focus on quality improvement
- Maintain physician and patient confidentiality
- Conduct evidence-informed-work
- Driven by physicians and centered on physicians
Help physician identify perceived and unperceived learning needs
Facilitate individual access to practice data and information
Address physicians' personal learning needs
- Engage in knowledge translation for projects for which data is readily available
Develop, adapt, and disseminate aggregate data reports for the province
- Support the initiatives of Choosing Wisely Alberta