Medical and Surgical Management Practices for Hysterectomies in Calgary
Dr. Pamela Chu, Assistant Dean Postgraduate Medical Education, University of Calgary
Dr. Wynne Leung, Obstetrician/Gynecologist at Chrysalis Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Clinical Assistant Professor
Dr. Lara Cooke, Associate Dean Continuing Medical Education and Professional Development, University of Calgary
Project Manager - Inelda Gjata
This study aims to assess hysterectomy rates in Calgary and their medical and surgical management from 2009 to 2014. The study will evaluate:
- Patient demographics (age, sex, height, weight, cancer status etc.)
- Pre-operative consultations, medications and procedures leading up to the hysterectomy
- Peri-operative treatments and procedures (use of antibiotics, anti-coagulants, anesthesia type etc.)
- Surgical parameters (procedure status and duration)
- Post-operative outcomes (hemoglobin levels, blood transfusions administered, readmission to OR, admission to ER, mortality etc.)
- Post-operative prescription medications.
Participating physicians will be provided with confidential aggregate and individual data reportsIntended Outcome
Evaluation of these practices compared to guidelines may allow participating physicians to identify opportunities for quality improvement.
For more information contact Inelda Gjata, project manager, at email@example.com